Saturday, June 7, 2008

Earthquakes

Appropriately, this morning, my first day in Peru, I experienced my first earthquake with my 38 new friends. As we ate our eggs and ham, the dining hall began to lightly tremble... But since the waiters pouring cafe con leche appeared totally unphased, well, we laughed it off! It really was no big deal - apppropriate really - as I´m sure this morning was the first of many small earthquakes - real and metaphorical - that I´ll experience in this fabulous country. After lunch, Glenn tried to feed an alpaca some chocolate, but that rude little alpaca spit on him. We´re already rolling with the punches. The weather is amazing - 70 degrees in the dead of winter here. I love my group, training is wonderful, and our leaders are amazing people. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever, and I am so filled with emotion. Tomorrow I´ll move into my homestay for the next 3 months... and classes start on Monday. Can´t wait. XO.

1 comment:

Ellen O'Donnell Rankin said...

Hi Sophie, It has already been a week now that you have been in Peru and we have enjoyed your 2 blog postings. What an exciting adventure for you and we feel privileged to be sharing your life with you through your blog. Have you started your work assignment yet or are you still in training? What is the village like in which you are living? We assume from the photos posted you are living at a high altitude, have you adjusted? You are so brave and strong and we are so proud of you. Can't wait to read more...
Much love, Ric, Ellen, Haley and Mary