Saturday, March 13, 2010

School's in Session!


It's a beautiful, chilly, overcast Ancash morning. I'm in Huaraz for our monthly meeting. On the agenda this month: composting, which will come in handy once my students learn to separate organic and inorganic waste. Also up is an ALMA meeting - Shannon and I are going to take advantage of our captive PCV audience this weekend to talk about the girls leadership camp that will take place in May. These days, I have barely enough hours in a day, which is a Peace Corps (or maybe an Ancash) anomaly. March is zooming by.
School started up again on March 1st, and I've began installing the materials in the classrooms for the Healthy Schools project. I'm busy with hygiene workshops, tooth brushing campaigns (I can't be totally sure, but browning baby teeth are evidence that some of these kiddies are brushing for the first time ever!!), and self-esteem classes. On Monday, we're going to elect 10 health promoters, whom I will train on hygiene, nutrition and environmental awareness issues. The health promoters will be leading organic gardens projects, healthy food activities and community clean-ups with the other students at Santa Fe to strengthen our Healthy Schools project. School's back in session, the kids are back in Tumpa, I've got my work cut out for me, and I couldn't be happier with site!

****
Currently reading: What is the What
In-site delightful surprises: Internet in the adobe kitchen window!
Months until COS: 4.5
post-PC plans: Sophie Sees South America Adventure Sept-Dec 2010... who's in?!

No comments: