Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mid-Service Conference and Social Theater


I spent last week in Lima for my mid-service conference. I reconnected with my Youth Development Peru 11 group, I checked in with my doctors for a physical and a mandatory flu shot - ouch! and I co-facilitated a 3 day Peace Corps In-Service Training workshop with Alex, another volunteer. The week was a blast. It was great to be in Lima with my Peru 11 friends, catching up, eating great food, playing mafia (so fun!), watching a little American football, and relaxing.

But the highlight of the week was definitely the training workshop.

The name of the workshop was Social Theater in Service to Community, and Alex and I taught 27 Peace Corps volunteers and community partners from all over Peru how to use theater and improv with youth to boost creativity, self-confidence, and leadership skills in the youth and to address important social issues in a community. It was so exciting to use all the drama and voice skills that I learned as a student in Connecticut with Peruvian nationals and my peers in the Peace Corps. So during three days, the participants played and endless number of improv games and dynamics, developed characters, wrote and performed monologues, and created and performed 15 minute socio-dramas on common Peruvian social issues like domestic abuse, low self-esteem, malnutrition, and teen pregnancy. Social Theater is an excellent teaching methodology, and a great way to address issues in Peruvian commuities that prevent healthy development from occuring. Everyone loved the workshop, and I feel really great about it!

The next step is that I will help create a Peace Corps manual on How to lead an IST on Social Theater in Service to Community. The idea is to make this training session accessible and available to Peace Corps programs worldwide, so that volunteers can bring Social Theater to their communities.

Well that's all for now. Be well!

Sophie

Here's a link to more pictures from my week in Lima....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2169375&id=7403642&l=3bb3b1b961

1 comment:

Ari said...

Sophie!! It sounds like everything is going so well. Keep up the good work. I miss you. Love you bye.