Monday, October 13, 2008

I wrote thi a couple weeks ago...

Today the rain came. It started around 3 in the afternoon when I heard thunder rolling in. The sky went from it’s usual piercing-blue to a tumultuous mix of grey hues and down came the drops, watering the parched earth beneath me. There are many reasons why La Epoca de Lluvia is well loved by the campesinos in this mountain town. The pattering of the raindrops on the mud-turned streets is symphonic, and the already stunning countryside will turn lushly green with each subsequent afternoon downpour. And coming from a girl from small-town New England, I have absolutely no idea what I’m in for. Sure, I’ve experienced my fair share of ‘Nor Easters or the occasional power-outage. But from what I understand, La Epoca de Lluvia is a whole other ball game. It’s an excellent conversation starter or filler. “They say the rain is coming… what’s it like?” “Oh yes, it’s going to rain. It rains hard. Sometimes for weeks on end.” Well, like everything else over the past 4 months, I’m jumping into this proverbial pool of rain… headfirst.

No comments: