Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th, 2008

I can’t believe I am about to write this… but today marks the completion of 1 month in Cuerpo de Paz Peru. I truly feel like I got here yesterday… the days go by slowly, but the weeks just fly. I have learned more in the past month than ever before, experiencing the highest of highs while I navigate through this new chapter: Volunteering in Peru. Not that it’s been all roses; there have been hard moments and difficult realizations too, although few and far between. But did I mention my group is fantastic? We’re in this together, we’re going to support each other throughout this adventure, and I have complete confidence in this support.
I've spent the morning playing the greatest field games with my PC group - in full out in-it-to-win-it mode - and yes we won many activities. Dizzy bat, wheelbarrow races, water balloon throws, cracker eating contests, etc. Happy 4th!!!
So in the past month I have… Felt very much at home. Taken glacier-cold (not exaggerating) showers. Actually communicated with my family, in conversational Spanish, on a regular basis! I mean, we totally understand each other! Eaten rice and potatoes EVERY day, multiple times a day …and kind of liked it. Watched a chick flick in Spanish, and cried. Ran for President, and lost (I’ll get ‘em next time!). Had 2 really successful meetings with my youth group at the school in my town. Played more self-esteem building games than I can remember, and gotten completely in touch with my inner-child. Become really close with my host family. Experienced an earthquake. Played soccer with Peruvians. Shopped for food with my Mama in a wild outdoor market: think Peruvian Mamas poking, prodding, handling whole raw chickens. Taken the most crowded “bus” in the world, everyday. Craved coffee. Been visited by lots of awesome PC Volunteers. Conquered my fear of shots. Accepted giant flying crickets as my permanent roommates – they’re no Courtney and Nina! (Haven’t had any spider-sightings lately, but word on the street is Tarantulas are big here). Learned how to plant vegetables and make my own garden at Lima’s Agriculture University… can’t picture me with a rake and hoe? Guess again! Seen, breathed, felt, loved the Pacific Ocean. Fallen in love with the Spanish language again. Realized a Nuevo appreciation for chocolate… cake (as you can imagine, it’s becoming a problem). Changed my US dollars for Peruvian soles with a yellow-shirt-wearing person on the street. Dreamed big and held high hopes in the midst of poverty. Had some small victories in the gastro-intestinal department, emphasis on small. Attended the Corazon de Jesus Fiesta in my pueblo and danced… and watched in absolute amazement as the giant wooden float-like structures exploded with fireworks and sparklers. Loved the popularity of American 80’s and early 90’s music in Peru. Been SO excited to hear that LOST is sold on dirt-cheap pirated DVDs in absolutely every major city in this country (There is a God). Adopted the nickname “Mamita” gladly. Had a serious gossip session with 3 fabulous ladies in the back of a crowded bus on the way home from Lima. Lived off of $3.00 a day easily. Missed my mama. And my papa. And whoever is reading this, I’ve missed you too. (And Rose too!!!) Experienced some serious self-discovery. Been gently lulled to sleep by the sound of 10-20 dogs barking/fighting, ducks quacking, crickets (I mean, my roommates) singing, roosters crowing (my neighbor has 10 roosters, and they DO wake up at 4:30). Tasted cow intestine and stomach… and not liked it so much. Danced “sexy” and discussed Peruvian pick-up lines with my Spanish teacher… and she’s a woman… and she was a nun for 10 years. Woken up at 6 and gone to bed at 9 pretty much everyday. Learned how to teach and manage a classroom of 38 kids when I was expecting only 12... in Spanish. Explored, explored, explored. Soaked it all in. And loved every minute of it.
PAZ Y MUCHOS ABRAZOS.

1 comment:

Franceen said...

I AM the first one to read your new entry, and loved it AND Your enthusiasm is catching SOSO. If the next 26 months are anything like this last one, you will come back ready to change the world....je t'aime. Maman